- Mechanical Fireflies, 2010 Barrow Street Press Poetry Prize, selected by Mary Ruefle and Barrow Street Press.
- Eric Hoffer Book Award for Poetry, 2010, for Black Tupelo Country.
- Weber—The Contemporary West, The Sherwin Howard Poetry Award for the poems "Ghost Child" and "After the Storm," 2009-2010.
- Ohio Arts Council Individual Excellence Award for 2009, in Poetry.
- Emrys Journal Nancy Drew Taylor Award for Excellence in Poetry, 2009, for the poem “Crevice.”
- Barton College, First-Place Prize, Poetry, 2009, for “Whirling Dervish.”
- Black Tupelo Country, Finalist, USA Books, The National Best Books 2008 Awards, Poetry.
- Black Tupelo Country, Finalist, ForeWord Magazine, The Book of the Year, 2008.
- 2008 First Runner Up The Spoon River Poetry Review Editor’s Prize, for “The Art of Woods.”
- 2008 Zoetrope: All Story Fiction Contest, 2nd Place, for “The Owl That Carries Us Away,” judged by Elizabeth McCracken.
- Black Tupelo Country, 2007 John Ciardi Prize for Poetry, selected by Leslie Adrienne Miller and
BkMk Press (University of Missouri-Kansas City).
- Nominated 18 times for Pushcart Awards.