The Ohio State University at Lima
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
March 10, 2008
Mrs. Knight called the meeting to order at 4:00 with the following members present: Mr. Griffith, Dr. Hubbell, Mrs. Knight, Mr. Reinhart, and Mr. Young. Mr. Slusher, Student Trustee, and Mr. Brooks, Representative to the Alumni Association, were also present. Mr. Deters, Mr. Hadley, Mrs. Schulte, Mr. Unverferth, and Dr. Ackerman were absent. Dr. Snyder and Dr. Rockhold attended in their official capacity. Several faculty and staff members attended.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: Mr. Reinhart moved and Dr. Hubbell seconded the motion that the reading of the January 10, 2008 meeting be waived and that they be approved as circulated prior to the meeting. The motion was unanimously approved.
CONSIDERATION OF FINANCIAL CONDITION: Mr. Phelps, Director of Business Affairs, presented an oral and written report that showed receipts of $9,075,735 or 70% of expected revenue with expenditures of $7,923,297 or 61.2% of expended expenditures. He explained that revenue from Winter Quarter fees and tuition were captured in this report, and that the budget continues to operate with expected parameters.
Mr.Young moved and Mr. Reinhart seconded the motion that the report be accepted. The motion was unanimously approved.
Mr. Brooks entered the meeting at 4:17.
ACADEMIC REPORT: None
TRUSTEE COMMITTEE REPORT: FINANCE COMMITTEE: Mrs. Knight reviewed progress made in financial reporting to the Board of Trustees, feeling that the Trustees now have a better understanding of the financial aspects of Ohio State Lima. She explained that future reports would be more explanatory in terms of cost areas within major expense categories.
TRUSTEE COMMITTEE REPORT: CAMPUS PLANNING AND FACILITIES: Mr. Griffith, Chair, and Dr. Snyder explained that the committee had met and that results of their discussions would be conducted during the new business section of the agenda.
DEPARTMENTAL REPORT: OFFICE OF DEVELOPMENT: Amanda Miller reported that the February meeting of the Winter College proved to be an excellent opportunity for Ohio State Lima to meet donors and establish acquaintances to develop friendships for the University. She showed a display that was used to promote the University’s regional campuses, explaining that the regional campus display was just one of four such presentations. She continues to work with colleagues from other regional campuses to prepare to attend Winter College in 2009.
Ms. Miller introduced John Pruehs, development consultant to the Board of Trustees. He explained that planning continues to start a financial campaign that will focus on three areas: a student and community center, scholarships, and the Lima Fund. He further explained that discussions are ongoing to establish partners with agencies and businesses. Financial requests have been made. He explained that these partnerships would become collaborative efforts where both the University and the partners would find value.
He urged that Ohio State Lima take steps to initiate the campaign soon , especially the student and community center. Citing the new residential opportunities being provided by private developers, access and availability to this facility becomes very important as the University expands its student life function. He also felt that delay of the project would cause costs to escalate by as much as $50,000 per month.
DEAN AND DIRECTOR’S REPORT: Dr. Snyder reported on the following matters:
· Ohio State Lima Advocates and Hall of Fame. The Advocates will meet on April 3 in Room 160 at 11:30. There are currently four nominees for the Hall of Fame Award. The program will feature Temple Patton, staff member of the Department of Admissions, who will explain the DREAM Project. Trustees are urged to attend.
· Student Trustee Nomination/Selection Process, 2008-09. Dr. Snyder explained that nominations are being sought for this position, and that selection would occur in the May meeting. The nominee’s name would then be forwarded to The Ohio State University Board of Trustees for final confirmation. Mrs. Knight asked that the Secretary to the Board of Trustees coordinate these proceedings and that the Academic Affairs and Student Life Committee interview and recommend worthy candidate(s).
· Spring Quarter Enrollment. Final enrollment figures will not be available until the next meeting, but preliminary estimates indicate that enrollment will continue to exceed enrollment from comparable the 2007-08 school year.
· Campus Master Plan. Dr. Snyder explained that Ohio State Lima continues to work with Rhodes State College and the University in trying to finalize the proposed master plan for buildings and facilities. Both entities have provided written comments on the most recent plan. The University and its consultant are expected to submit a recommended plan and strategy for board consideration in May, 2008. The plan will be submitted to the Ohio State Lima Board of Trustees for action and later presented to the community for review and explanation. Costs for the master plan are provided by the University.
OLD BUSINESS. The following old business was presented:
Dr. Snyder, Mrs. Knight, and Mr. Reinhart referenced the notes from the previous meetings of the ongoing discussions between Ohio State Lima and Rhodes State College, noting that some progress had been made in the discussions. The next scheduled conversation is scheduled for March 15 at 8:00.
NEW BUSINESS: The following matters of new business were presented and decided:
Mr. Reinhart moved and Dr. Hubbell seconded the motion that Ohio State Lima be authorized to participate with the Ohio Board of Regents and the Regional Emergency Preparedness Committee to use Ohio State Lima facilities for planning and training purposes. The motion was unanimously approved.
PARKING LOT CONSTRUCTION AND FUNDING. Mr. Griffith moved and Mr. Young seconded the motion that Ohio State Lima enter into a Memorandum of Understanding with Rhodes State College for the construction and funding of a parking lot to facilitate approximately 480 vehicles near the intersection of Campus and Biddle Drives with expenses being based upon the ten (10) year rolling enrollment head count average for the years 1998-2008. The motion was unanimously approved.
REJECT PROPOSAL. Dr. Hubbell moved and Mr. Reinhart seconded the motion that The Ohio State Lima Board of Trustees acknowledge receipt of and reject the undated and unsigned proposal by representatives of Rhodes State College to financially support and occupy space in the proposed Student Life and Community Center proposed by Ohio State Lima . The motion was unanimously approved.
PROPOSED TO PROCEED WITH CONSTRUCTION. Mr. Young moved and Mr. Griffith seconded the motion that The Ohio State Lima Board of Trustees take immediate steps to design, fund, and construct a Student Life and Community Center that will serve all students from Ohio State Lima and Rhodes State College as well as citizens from the region. The Board of Trustees further stipulates that the following considerations be made in advancing these plans:
· The current advancement of residential life options by private developers and increased enrollment heightens the importance of building this facility;
· The project should move forward as quickly as possible to help contain inflationary costs;
· The project should be sensitive to the needs of the community to provide (1) informal gathering areas, (2) health and wellness areas, and (3) space for conference areas.
· The following priorities should be considered in designing spaces for the proposed facility:
§ Provide spaces for informal gatherings, study areas for students, and food services;
§ Provide spaces for student services offices;
§ Provide spaces for wellness and personal fitness
§ Provide spaces for conference areas..
The motion was unanimously approved.
ITEMS PRESENTED BY TRUSTEES FOR CONSIDERATION AT A FUTURE MEETING: None
Mr. Young moved and Mr. Griffith seconded the motion that the meeting be adjourned. The motion was unanimously approved and Mrs. Knight declared the meeting adjourned at 5:36. The Ohio State Lima Board of Trustees will meet again in regular session on April 10, 2008 at 4:00 pm.
Nancy J. Knight, Chair Jon E. Rockhold, Secretary
Ohio State Lima Board of Trustees Ohio State Lima Board of Trustees
March 13, 2008 March 13, 2008
Trustee minutes 031308 (Compatibility Mode)