April 11, 2007
Contact: Pam Joseph (419) 995-8284 or Lesley King Fry (419) 995-8671Ohio State Lima inducts Jan Osborn to Hall of FameThe Ohio State University at Lima will induct the latest member of its Hall of Fame during the meeting of the Ohio State Lima Advocates at 11:45 a.m., Friday, April 13, 2007, in Stage II of the Martha W. Farmer Theatre for the Performing Arts in Reed Hall. The induction will begin no earlier than 12:55 p.m.
The Ohio State Lima Advocates group was formed by the Board of Trustees to engage past members and gain their insights and perspective on how Ohio State Lima can better serve its students and community. Members can also be past members of the Citizens’ Advisory Council that preceded the Board of Trustees and selected community leaders.
To be considered for the Ohio State Lima Hall of Fame, a candidate must have attended Ohio State Lima at least one quarter, earned an Ohio State degree, and exhibit leadership in their professions and the community.
Jan L. Osborn, Ph.D., is the latest honoree to the Ohio State Lima Hall of Fame. He started as a freshman at Ohio State Lima before moving to Columbus to complete his Bachelor of Science in Education in June 1972. Osborn is a Putnam County native and has devoted his professional career to the area and its children. His mantra continues to be “Is it good for children? If so, let’s do it!” Osborn currently serves as the superintendent for the Putnam County Schools and was instrumental in developing the Putnam County Educational Service Center—Skilled Learning Center.
A sampling of his activities follow:
• 2004 Ohio Pioneer in Education Award
• Chairman, Putnam County Port Authority
• Member, Ohio School Boards Association and Ohio Educational Service Center Association
• Member and past president of the Ohio Coalition for the Education of Children with Disabilities
• Past member of the State Special Education Advisory Board
• Governor’s Pathfinder Award for Educational Technology, 1994
• Active member of the Putnam County Alternative School Advisory Board
• Active member of the Putnam County Family and Children First Council