DESCRIPTION OF RESEARCH INTERESTS:I study how and why people revise self-views in response to social feedback. Stated otherwise, I study the social negotiation of self across the lifespan. As with any negotiation table, I view the table of identity negotiation as represented by two sides. My research represents both sides in two interrelated lines of inquiry. On the first side, I study the Psychology of the Changed. This line of inquiry explores how and why someone would revise a self-view in response to social feedback. Moreover, this line of inquiry examines the consequences of self-revision for ongoing mental health and well-being. On the flip side, I study the Psychology of the Changer. This line of inquiry explores how and why someone would try to change another person’s self-views. Moreover, this line of inquiry examines the consequences of inducing self-revision in a social partner for ongoing relational satisfaction and well-being.
- Carroll, P. J., Sweeney, K., & Shepperd, J. A. (2006). Forsaking optimism. Review of General Psychology, 10, 56-73.“Forsaking Optimism”(pdf)
- Carroll, P. J., Shepperd, J. A., Sweeney, K., Carlson, E., & Benigno, J. P. (2007). Disappointment for others. Cognition and Emotion., 21, 1565-1576. “Cognition & Emotion-Disappointment for others”(pdf)
- Sweeny, K., Carroll, P. J., & Shepperd, J. A. (2006). Is optimism always best? Future outlooks and preparedness. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 15, 302-306. “Is Optimism Always the Best”(pdf)
- Carroll, P.J., Shepperd, J.A., & Arkin, R.M. (2009). Downward self-revision: Erasing possible selves. Social Cognition, 27 (4), 523-551. “Social Cognition”(pdf)
- Carroll, P.J., Arkin, R. M., Seidel, S., Morris, J. (2009). The relative importance of needs among traumatized and non-traumatized samples. Motivation and Emotion(pdf), 33, 373-386.
- Carroll, P. J., Arkin, R. M., & Shade, C. (2011).Possible selves and Self-doubt: A Poverty of Desired Possibility. Journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science(pdf), 2 (2), 190-198.
- Carroll, P. J., McCaslin, M., & Norman, G. (2011). The Expansion and Revision of Self-Theory through Preparedness. Social and Personality Psychology Compass(pdf), 10, 1-15.
Popular Press Publications
- New Research Examines How Career Dreams Die. Featured article in August 2009 issue of PHYSorg.com (pdf)
- Sometimes it’s best to kill a dream. Featured article in January-February 2010 issue of The Ohio State University Alumni Magazine (pdf)