Generation One Learning Community
The Generation One Learning Community is an opportunity to join with other first-generation college students in a learning community designed to emphasize the keys to success both inside and outside the classroom. Students have the opportunity to establish connections with other Ohio State Lima students, faculty and staff who identify as first-generation and meet people who can help them succeed in navigating the university environment.
Who can be a part of Generation One?
To be a part of Generation One, students must be a first-generation first-time college student. First-generation college students are students whose parents do not hold a degree from a four-year college or university. First-time college student refers to students who have never been enrolled in college before, although students who enrolled in college classes while in high school are eligible.
Generation One offers:
- academic enrichment opportunities
- leadership training
- community engagement
- field trip opportunities
What is a learning community?
- A unique academic opportunity for first year Ohio State Lima students
- A group of approximately 25 students who are co-enrolled in three core courses during their first year on campus
- A team concept that provides a supportive environment to help transition to college and succeed academically in the first year
- A chance to connect with a small community of peers with similar academic interests
- A sequence of cohort courses that fulfill general education requirements
- A supportive network of fellow students, peer educators, and professors
What are the benefits?
- Establish positive working relationships with professors
- Focus on common academic areas of interest
- Develop leadership skills
- Participate in group activities and initiatives as defined by each cohort of students
- Enjoy a collaborative environment designed to achieve academic success
- $200 certificate to bookstore upon completion of the program
- Opportunities to mentor the next class of first-year students at Ohio State Lima
For more information, contact:
Shane McCrory, Director of Student Life
email@example.com • (419) 995-8266