Athletics - Golf
Baron's Golf is a Spring Semester sport at Ohio State Lima. The Golf team participates in a round robin O.R.C.C. golf regular season consisting of eight 18 hole golf tournaments, and a conference 36-hole tournament to conclude the season. Our home course is Lost Creek Country Club located one mile from campus. Tryouts occur every year during the week of spring break. The Golf team follows the rules set forth by the USGA.
Ohio State Lima Golfers
If you were a high school golfer or have a strong background in golf and have a desire to be a member of the 2016 Barons, the golf team we will be having an organizational meeting early during the Spring Semester. If you would like to attend or have questions about our golf team call coach Jim Maley at 419-331-0412. We will be discussing our spring trip, our league schedule, qualifying dates, and filling out forms at this meeting still TBD. If you have questions please call the Coach ASAP or stop at the Athletic Office located at Cook Hall. We are looking forward to having a very good golf team this year and you could be a part of this team!!
Coach Maley became the Head Golf Coach for the Barons in 2002. The Barons have won 2 state championships and 2 ORCC championships during his tenure, both occurred in 2007 and 2008. The Barons have been regular contenders as top finishers in many ORCC matches in regular season play since Maley took over. Before coaching the Barons, Coach Maley taught at Ottoville High School for 30 years as a Social Studies teacher. While at Ottoville Maley was the Varsity Golf Coach for 23 years and also served as the Athletic Director for 14 years. Ottoville golf thrived under Coach Maley, winning 9 Putnam County League Championships, 7 Sectional Championships, 3 District Championships, and 4 trips to the State Championships. Ottoville sent 5 golfers to the State tournament as individuals with the highest finish for any Ottoville golfer being State Runner up in 1983. Coach Maley was elected to the OHSAA Golf Coaches Hall of Fame in 1994.
Maley is a graduate of Bucyrus High School, attended Rio Grande College for 1 year before receiving his undergraduate degree from Findlay College and later his Masters degree from Bowling Green State University. Maley enjoys playing in numerous local scrambles and golf leagues in the Lima area and has a personal best round of 73. Maley enjoys the game of golf and especially enjoys watching his golf teams work hard and improve as the season progresses. Maley considers himself fortunate to have coached a great number of excellent golfers both at Ottoville High School and with The Ohio State Lima/Rhodes State College Barons.
- Mar 26 - 11:00am - Golf - ONU JV - Colonial Golf Club 11am
- Apr 4 - 1:00pm - Golf - MU Middletown - Wildwood Golf Course
- Apr 7 - 12:00pm - Golf - MU Hamilton - Twin Run Golf Course 12pm
- Apr 14 - 1:00pm - Golf - UA Wayne - The Pines
- Apr 21 - 12:00pm - Golf - OU Eastern - Belmont Hills Country Club 12pm
- Apr 22 - 9:30am - Golf - Defiance College - Eagle Rock Golf Course 9:30am
- Apr 23 - 9:30am - Golf - Defiance College - Eagle Rock Golf Course 9:30am
- Apr 28 - 12:00pm - Golf - U of Findlay JV - Colonial Golf Club 12pm
- Apr 29 - 10:30am - Golf - OSU/Rhodes - Colonial Golf Club 10:30am
- May 6 - 1:05pm - Golf - State @ OU Chillicothe - Jaycee Golf Club
- May 7 - 1:06pm - Golf - State @ OU Lancaster - Valley View Golf Course