By-Laws to the Faculty Assembly Constitution
Adopted 29 March 1967
(Revised and approved on: September 1983; 1 April 1986; 31 May 1988; 15 March 1994; May 22, 2001, April 23, 2003, Jan 18, 2008, March 9, 2010, April 14, 2010; May 22, 2014)
1. Appointed Committees
(1) The members of the Faculty Welfare Committee are 8 volunteers appointed by the President of the Assembly. Unless specified otherwise, appointments are for one year and are made in April. (Minutes 10/9/69, 1/13/79, 10/5/84 and 11/l/84, 05/22/01)
(2) The Promotion and Tenure Committee shall consist of 6 members of the Faculty Assembly, appointed by the Dean and Director of the Campus from tenured faculty.
(3) The President of the Faculty Assembly shall appoint a seven-member Administrators' Review Committee consisting of tenured faculty composed of the following members: 2 faculty members from Humanities; 1 faculty member from the Arts; 2 faculty members from Social Science/Education; and 2 faculty members from Sciences/Mathematics. Each member shall serve for one review.
2. Elected Committees.
Representatives to all committees are elected in April. Elections will be administered by the Faculty Welfare Committee. All officers of the Faculty Assembly and committee members will assume their offices effective August 1 of each year. For committees without a chairman of record the Assembly president will appoint an interim chairperson to call a meeting for the purpose of electing a chairperson by August 31. Committees should meet and elect a chairperson prior to the second meeting of the Assembly in Fall Semester. Each committee will prepare a report for the assembly at least once a year. . Whenever a member of the Faculty Assembly is on research-assignment for an entire year, committee memberships held by that colleague will be vacated. The Faculty assembly will then appoint a new member to fill the remainder of each vacated term. (Minutes 11/l/84, 5/3/89 and 4/25/01)
(1) The Professional Development Committee is composed of 6 members, serving two-year staggered terms. The committee shall be composed of faculty members with the rank of Assistant Professor or above. (Minutes 1/15/76, 11/3/83, 10/5/84, 11/l/84)
(2 ) The Budget and Space Committee shall consist of 6 elected faculty members, the Dean and Director of the Campus (or designee), the Associate Dean and the Associate Director for Business and F inance who are ex-officio members. The six faculty members shall be elected to staggered three year terms. No single department shall have more than one member on the committee. (Minutes 10/6/78, 1/12/79, 3/6/80, 11/l/84, 5/22/01, and 4/23/03)
(3 ) The Academic Planning Committee is composed of 7 members of the Assembly, 2 faculty members from Humanities; 1 faculty member from the Arts; 2 faculty members from Social Science/Education; and 2 faculty members from Sciences/Mathematics. along with one ex-officio member, the Associate Dean or designee. The faculty representatives are elected to staggered two-year terms Ad hoc non- voting student members may be invited as appropriate. (Minutes 12/3/76, 4/6/79, 4/13/81, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, 11/7/89, 0/7//93, 5/22/01, and 4/14/2010)
(4 ) The Honors Committee is composed of 5 tenure-line members elected to staggered two year terms. The Honors Director is ex-officio. (Minutes 5/5/77, 11/20/78, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, and 6/3/91)
(5 ) The Library Committee consists of 4 OSU faculty and the Librarians who are ex-officio members. The OSU faculty representatives are elected to staggered two-year terms. Ad hoc non- voting student members may be invited as appropriate. (Minutes 11/4/82, 9/19/83, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, 10/l/86 and 5/22/01)
(6 ) The Faculty Salary Advisory Committee is composed of the following elected members: 2 faculty members from Humanities; 1 faculty member from the Arts; 2 faculty members from Social Science/Education; and 2 faculty members from Sciences/Mathematics. The representatives are elected to two-year staggered terms. (Minutes 10/l/82, 9/1983, 10/5/84, 11/l/84, 10/l/86 and 5/22/01) (7 )The Teaching Effectiveness Committee shall consist of 6 assembly members including at least 3 tenured faculty elected to staggered three year terms and at least one member with the rank of "Senior Lecturer" elected to a three year term. The committee may also invite ad hoc non- voting student members. The Assistant Dean is a non-voting Ex-Officio Member.(Minutes 9/24/91 5/21/01, 4/23/03, 1/16/08, and 4-14-2010)
(8 ). The Strategic Planning Committee shall be composed of four administrators chosen by the Dean and Director, four faculty members elected by the Faculty Assembly to 2 year staggered terms, and four staff elected by the Staff Council.
(9 ) Undergraduate Research and Mentoring Committee. URMC Members: Six faculty members, elected through faculty assembly elections, shall serve on the URMC. No two faculty members from any college may be from the same division. Members will serve staggered 2-year terms and can be re-elected for multiple terms. The chair of the committee should not serve as chair for longer than 2 consecutive terms (i.e., 4 consecutive years). Ad hoc non-voting student members may also be invited to serve as appropriate. (Minutes 4-14-2010)
3. Other Representatives.
(1) The Faculty Assembly also elects, in accordance with the rules of the University Senate, a representative and an alternate-representative to the University Senate. These representatives are elected in April for a three-year term beginning the following August.
(2) The Faculty Assembly has two representatives on the Ad Hoc Regional Faculty Committee. These are the President of the Assembly and the representative to the University Senate.