Honors Awards, Tuition Awards, & Recognition
Participation in the Honors Program makes you eligible for a variety of awards and scholarships, some granted in every Honors course, some awarded annually, and some earned upon graduation. Here’s an overview.
Honors Book Awards
The Honors Book Award comes with a $100 Bookstore Gift Certificate. We award up to three of these awards for every Honors course, depending upon enrollment. The award recipients are selected by the course instructor based on the student’s contributions to the class and academic performance. (No application is necessary.)
Honors Tuition Awards
The Honors Tuition Award comes with a cash prize of $1,000 given each spring semester. We usually present three of these awards each year, depending on Honors enrollment. To be eligible for this award, Honors students must enroll in at least two Honors courses in the current academic year (including Honors Embedded and Honors Equivalent courses), maintain a high overall GPA, and participate in Honors events outside of the classroom. The Director of the Honors Program generally invites students most eligible for this award to apply, but you are welcome to contact the Director early in spring semester to inquire if you meet the eligibility requirements and are interested in applying.
Lima students are eligible to win awards for their participation in either of two undergraduate research forums held each year, one the Lima campus and one on the Columbus campus.
Other special scholarships available to OSU Lima students are not administered by the Honors Program, but students who receive such scholarships, Rudd Scholars for example, should certainly participate in the Honors Program. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information on applying for these scholarships.
Students completing a minimum of 12 graded credit hours with a GPA of 3.50 or higher for any given term will be named to the Dean's List for that term.
Graduation Honors & Awards
Lima Campus Awards
Each year the Honors faculty grants two awards to graduating students (the records of graduating students are reviewed automatically so no application is necessary):
- The John W. Hevener Award goes to an outstanding student finishing a bachelor's degree on the Lima campus.
- The John T. Mount Award goes to an outstanding student who began study on the Lima campus and is finishing a bachelor's degree on the Columbus campus.
University Latin Honors
The degrees cum laude, magna cum laude, and summa cum laude are awarded to graduates in Arts and Sciences (including those graduating on the Lima campus) who meet the following standards:
- Cum laude: Each student who graduates with a GPA of 3.50 to 3.699 and completes a minimum of 60 graded semester hours of course work at Ohio State will receive the cum laude designation upon the diploma and transcript.
- Magna cum laude: Each student who graduates with a GPA of 3.70 to 3.899 and completes a minimum of 60 graded semester hours of course work at Ohio State will receive the magna cum laude designation upon the diploma and transcript.
- Summa cum laude: Each student who graduates with a minimum 3.90 GPA and completes a minimum of 60 graded semester hours of course work at Ohio State will receive the summa cum laude designation upon the diploma and transcript.
University Graduation with Distinction
Students graduating on the Lima campus generally can graduate with distinction, however this process varies greatly across disciplines so if you’re interested in pursuing this course of study, please contact the Honors director (email@example.com) or your advisor for more information. OSU students can attain the following types of distinction at graduation:
- with Distinction
- with Honors Distinction
- with Research Distinction
- with Honors Research Distinction
The first two are based more on coursework and GPA, while the “research” distinction rewards students deciding to complete a senior thesis. Graduation with distinction is possible for students not in an Honors program; the label “honors” is added to the distinction for those who do participate in Honors.
The requirements for graduation with distinction are specified by each college and major program. Some require students to complete an Honors Contract or Plan at the end of the second year, so Lima students should contact their adviser or the Honors Director in a timely manner.