Ohio State Lima Counseling and Consultation Services offers free and confidential mental health services to all current Ohio State Lima students. These services include:
* Consultations – brief assessment of a student’s concerns and minimal follow-up (usually 1 or 2 meetings)
* Individual Therapy – individual psychotherapy / counseling for a variety of mental health issues ranging from adjusting to college, homesickness, & managing stress to clinical depression, anxiety conditions, & many other concerns.
* Screening and some assessment of learning disorders and ADHD.
* Academic Probation Consultations
* Referrals – at the completion of the initial meeting with every student, the counselor will review with the student options that seem to be the most helpful for the student’s current concerns. This may include therapy, but often also includes information about other sources of help – sometimes other student services right here on Lima Campus, sometimes to services off campus.
If you are new to the Lima area, we have information about many types of resources in the community. If you are living in and commuting from a city / town outside of Lima or a county other than Allen, we also have information about resources. We keep up to date information for Allen and each of the surrounding counties.
*Currently, Ohio State Lima Counseling and Consultation Services does not have the ability to prescribe medication. Any student that may benefit from medications will be referred to a physician’s office for an evaluation to determine if that is the best course of treatment for the student.
* In addition, we do not have the ability to conduct comprehensive psychological testing that would be necessary to diagnose most learning disorders. However, we can conduct brief screenings to help you determine if a full assessment would be beneficial.
* Campus Outreach Programming – Each year we provide several outreach events to the entire campus community or to the entire Ohio State Lima student body in an effort to offer information or services that are widely needed. Another major goal of our outreach programming is to reduce the stigma of mental illness and seeking mental health services.
* PDF brochures:
Counseling Services for Ohio State Lima Students: Everything You Need to Know
How to Use Your Counseling Center
What to expect at the first appointment
If you are scheduling an appointment for therapy, your first appointment is called an intake and is scheduled for 90 minutes. We will ask you to fill out some paperwork, similar to that you might have completed at other doctors’ offices. You will then have plenty of time to talk with the therapist. Usually, your therapist will ask questions to get to know you better and to get an idea of what’s going on in your life and what you might be struggling with. At the end of this appointment, you and the therapist will discuss what the next best step is for you. Your therapist may have some recommendations and may encourage you to follow those recommendations, but she will also ask for your thoughts and feelings about what you feel is the most appropriate next step for you. You will develop a plan together, and if you return for therapy, begin working the plan at that time.
What are some of the reasons people come to Ohio State Lima Counseling and Consultation Services? Here are just a sample:
Adjusting to the University
Alcohol / Drug Problems
Stress & Coping Skills
Self-Esteem / Self-Confidence
Chronic Medical Conditions
If you are in need of immediate assistance after normal business hours, you may call 614-292-5766 to speak with someone. This number is answered 24 hours a day.
If you are in need of immediate help, feel you’re in danger of harming yourself or someone else, or are feeling suicidal, please contact one or more of the following:
* We Care Crisis Center – 24/7 phone assistance or walk-in care
799 S. Main St., Lima, OH
* National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)