Ohio State Lima Counseling and Consultation Services offers free and confidential mental health services to all current Ohio State Lima students. These services include:
- **NEW** Let’s Talk Consultations – informal mental health consultations on a first-come, first-served basis. It’s FREE and CONFIDENTIAL and open to all currently registered Ohio State students. It's a great option for students who may not need traditional counseling, but who could benefit from one-on-one support and consultation. Click here for more information.
- Consultations – brief assessment of a student’s concerns and minimal follow-up (usually 1 or 2 meetings)
- Individual Therapy – individual psychotherapy/counseling for a variety of mental health issues ranging from adjusting to college, homesickness, & managing stress to clinical depression, anxiety conditions, & many other concerns. Use this form or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Screening and some assessment of learning disorders and ADHD.
- Referrals – at the completion of the initial meeting with every student, the counselor will review with the student options that seem to be the most helpful for the student’s current concerns. This may include therapy, but often also includes information about other sources of help – sometimes other student services right here on Lima Campus, sometimes to services off campus.
- Campus Outreach Programming – Each year we provide several outreach events to the entire campus community or to the entire Ohio State Lima student body, in an effort to offer information or services that are widely needed. Another major goal of our outreach programming is to reduce the stigma of mental illness and seek mental health services.
- Mental Health America - Take a Mental Health Screening
* PDF brochures:
Counseling Services for Ohio State Lima Students: Everything You Need to Know
How to Use Your Counseling Center
What to expect at the first appointment
If you are scheduling an appointment for therapy, your first appointment is called an intake and is scheduled for 90 minutes. We will ask you to fill out some paperwork, similar to that you might have completed at other doctors’ offices. You will then have plenty of time to talk with the therapist. Usually, your therapist will ask questions to get to know you better and to get an idea of what’s going on in your life and what you might be struggling with. At the end of this appointment, you and the therapist will discuss what the next best step is for you. Your therapist may have some recommendations and may encourage you to follow those recommendations, but she will also ask for your thoughts and feelings about what you feel is the most appropriate next step for you. You will develop a plan together, and if you return for therapy, begin working the plan at that time.
What are some of the reasons people come to Ohio State Lima Counseling and Consultation Services? Here are just a sample: