The Ohio State University at Lima

Student FAQ

  1. How do I schedule an appointment? You can schedule an appointment by Stopping in the Counseling Services office at Galvin Hall, room 107
    Call: Samantha Haudenschield 567-242-7158 Email:
  2. How do I know which therapist to schedule with? You can schedule with either of the therapists. However, if you are currently enrolled in a course with one of the therapists as the instructor, it poses a conflict of interest and you would be asked to make an appointment with the other counselor.
  3. What if I don’t like my therapist / want to change therapists? We want you to feel comfortable with all aspects of the environment at Counseling Services, including your counselor. If you feel that the therapist you’re working with is not a good fit for you, simply ask if you may switch.
  4. I’m concerned that my parents / teachers / friends will know I’m coming to counseling.
    The therapists at Ohio State Lima Counseling Services are both licensed by the State of Ohio in their fields. Based in extensive training in ethics and legal issues, the highest standards of confidentiality are maintained. We are unable to discuss who comes to Lima Counseling and Consultation Services for services, what happens during sessions, or any other protected client information without the individual’s written consent. This means that we don’t talk to parents, teachers, staff members, other students, or anyone else about who comes to Lima Counseling and Consultation Services or what happens while you’re here. The only exceptions to this are when a student is in imminent danger of hurting him/herself or others or in cases of suspected / known child abuse or neglect, or as required by law.
  5. Will this end up in my school record / academic file?
    As with the question above, no information about students’ services in Lima Counseling and Consultation Services is released from this office unless required by law. We maintain separate files in the Counseling Services office that are completely separate from academic files.
  6. How much does it cost?
    Services are free.
  7. Is there a limit to the number of meetings / sessions I can have?
    We work on a short-term therapy model. Currently, there is a limit of 10 sessions per academic year. Most students find that 10 or fewer sessions are enough to address their concerns.
  8. What if I can’t wait to talk to someone?
    If you are in need of immediate assistance after normal business hours, you may call 614-292-5766 to speak with someone. This number is answered 24 hours a day.
    If you feel like you must speak with someone immediately, if you are concerned for your safety or are feeling like you may injure yourself, are feeling suicidal, or are thinking about harming someone else, you may call one of several different crisis lines.
    The We Care Crisis Center in Lima is a 24/7 crisis facility – they accept walk-ins any time and have a crisis phone line that is always open.
    797 S. Main St., Lima, OH
    1-800-567-HOPE (4673)
    National Suicide Hotline 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)
    You may call 9-1-1 at any time for immediate assistance in your area. You may also walk in to any Emergency Room for care.
  9. I’m a Rhodes State College student, can I make an appointment with you?
    If you are a Rhodes State College student, services are available through the Rhodes Counseling Services Office, located in Public Service Bldg.
  10. Emotional Support Animals and Service Animals:
    We may assist with certification for emotional support animals when it is clinically necessary for established clients. Emotional support animals are not specially trained for their emotional supportive roles and are not considered service animals under the ADA ( We take these needs very seriously and complete thorough assessments through an extended treatment process. These letters may denote that an individual has a disability and the animal is used to address the disability. We will not write letters for emotional support animals for housing, travel accommodation, or course accommodations unless clinically necessary for established clients. We are happy to help you access an evaluation in the community to determine disability status and need for an ESA or Service Animal.

    Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), service animals can accompany their owners anywhere the public can go. Emotional support animals, on the other hand need advanced approval as an accommodation. Our students’ with service animals are welcome in both of our locations. We have a responsibility to ensure that our environment is safe for all students and thus all animals and handlers are subject to the University’s rules of conduct.

    If you have questions, would like assistance planning for a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal on campus, need to arrange local veterinary care, or have a concern about your treatment and access when accompanied by your Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal contact The Ohio State University at Lima ADA Coordinator at 567-242-7510.

    Please note that you will need to register with the Ohio State ADA coordinator’s office in order to bring your Emotional Support Animal to our offices.

If you are in need of immediate help, feel you’re in danger of harming yourself or someone else, or are feeling suicidal, please contact one or more of the following:

* We Care Crisis Center – 24/7 phone assistance or walk-in care
799 S. Main St., Lima, OH
1-800-567-HOPE (4673)
* National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)

* 9-1-1